With nearly 40% of BC’s carbon emissions coming from the transportation sector, it’s time to talk about more efficient ways of moving people, goods, and services around the province.
Rob Abbott, Executive Director of Carbon Neutral Government & Climate Action Outreach at the Climate Action Secretariat, has a vision for the future of transportation in BC. His talk will address the challenges and opportunities for reducing transportation emissions in BC and will touch on the following ideas:
- The potential for natural gas to fuel commercial and light trucks in BC
- The potential for the carbon tax to increase investment in transportation
- Expansion of urban rapid transit
- Distance-based insurance and road pricing systems
- Transit-oriented development and land-use patterns that improve transportation options and affordability